Research Internship: Climate, Security & Middle East (Spring 2019)
The Center for the National Interest is seeking energetic undergraduate and graduate students (though non-students may also apply) interested in international affairs to apply to be Research Interns. Interns will assist Climate and Security Program Director Geoffrey Kemp with research on geopolitical and geoeconomic developments in the Greater Middle East. Interns will make important editorial and research contributions to projects examining the national security implications of climate change and the nexus of geopolitics and environmental security.
Successful applicants will have a strong work ethic, excellent writing skills, and a sharp analytical mind. A demonstrated interest in international affairs and foreign policy is required. Research experience with issues related to environmental policy and climate security is highly desired. In addition to supporting the Program Director, Research Interns will have access to most Center meetings, seminars, and other events. Research Interns will also have the opportunity to pursue independent research and writing in the Center’s award winning foreign affairs publication: The National Interest.
• Conduct research to support the activities of the Climate and Security program, including op-eds, reports, and briefings
• Aid in the organization of program meetings, events, and seminars
• Author summaries of program activities for internal and external audiences.
• General office assistance as needed.
• Enrolled or completed a BA or MA in International Relations, Political Science, Economics, or any related field; excellent skills in the Microsoft Office suite
• Research experience in the areas of environmental policy and climate security highly desired
• Arabic language proficiency desirable
• To apply, candidates must submit a one-page resume, cover letter, and a five (5) page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Center will contact only those candidates who are extended an interview. Please note that this internship is unpaid.