Social Media and Communications Internship (Spring 2020)
The Center for the National Interest is seeking energetic and highly-capable undergraduate and graduate students interested in international affairs for the position of Social Media and Communications Intern. The intern will assist the Chief of Staff and Program Assistant with the Center’s media outreach, external relations, event series and other organizational matters. This is an ideal opportunity for graduate or undergraduate students seeking practical, functional entry-level experience in the think tank and/or non-profit sector.
Successful applicants will have a strong work ethic, superb attention to detail, and ability to think on their feet. A demonstrated interest in international affairs and foreign policy is required. Proficiency in social media and messaging tools, such as Buffer, Tweetdeck, Mailchimp and Hootsuite, is desired but not required. The Social Media and Communicaitons Intern will have access to most Center meetings, seminars, and other events. All Center interns also have the opportunity to pursue independent research and writing in the Center’s award-winning foreign affairs publication: The National Interest.
• Draft social media postings, create calendars of international events for use in media outreach, and conduct media research
• Aid in the organization and programming of meetings, events, and seminars
• Utilize A/V technology – cameras, microphones, sound systems, etc.
• Assist in database management
• General office assistance as needed
• Enrolled or completed a BA or MA in International Relations, Political Science, Journalism, Communication, Marketing, or any related field; excellent skills in the Microsoft Office suite
• Proficiency with social media tools preferred
• To apply, candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, and a five (5) page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the name of the internship in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. The Center will contact only those candidates who are extended an interview. The new intern will ideally be prepared to start in January or early February of 2020. Please note that this internship is unpaid.